We’re continuing our performer interview series for this week’s Luscious Cabaret with the absolutely delightful Rosie Kohl! You may know her from getting up to no good as part of Gimcrack Productions, but Rosie will also be taking to the stage solo to beguile us all with her signature bellydancing fusion moves…
1. Tell us a bit about why you decided to start performing.
To be honest, I don’t really remember ever not performing – even when I worked in theatre as a stage manager, director and writer I was still dancing and playing the violin in a band in my spare time. I’m a performer through and through – anyone who’s heard my shower repertoire will tell you that 😉
2. Do you remember your first time on stage? How did that go?
Kind of? I was 6 and played the violin in a school recital. It went well I think, I remember my mum seeming impressed. Probably she was relieved that I was getting over the ‘yowling cat’ scratchy phase of musicianship.
3. Any memorable audience members that you’ve encountered throughout your career?
Hands down the couple in Edinburgh that came back to see our show multiple times and then asked for a CD of the music. They were a really odd pair and kept talking through the show but clearly enjoyed it!
4. We’ve all had those days when we feel like doing nothing. What motivates you to be productive on a daily basis?
Fear of mortality and our inevitable end.
5. What do you think is people’s first impression of you?
Onstage: she is very wiggly. In life: she is really goofy and clumsy.
6. What is your biggest asset and your biggest flaw as a performer?
I’d have to say my biggest asset would be my… eyes. I get a lot of comments about them and the fact that they are technically quite large means it’s easier to connect with an audience. Science, look it up. Biggest flaw – I’m super bad at self-promotion. It makes me cringe so hard.
7. Tell us how you’d spend an ideal day off.
On the beach with a good book and a cold cocktail. With a massage thrown in because my muscles are always sore from training and I never seem to have time to get it sorted out.
8. Favourite drink?
Surprise me! Anything except beer. Be creative…
Come see Rosie work her magic at Luscious Cabaret this Friday at the Albany! xx